Friday, February 25, 2011

Sweet Potato Vanilla Patty Cakes (Vegan, GF)

These were such a great way to start the day! We mostly made these because we have sooo much coconut flour! And are looking for ways to use it. Coconut flour is actually very high in protein making these "patty cakes" super strong and buff, although they look innocent on the outside ;) We called them patty cakes because they aren't really pancakes because you have to mold them into patties before you fry them, but they taste and have the texture of pancakes. I didn't add any extra sweetness to the dough because I knew I was drizzling them with maple syrup. Feel free to add a bit of coconut nectar or whatever you want to make it sweeter! And feel free to sub in any flour of your choice whether it be brown rice or buckwheat or almond. You could also do a savory version of these especially if you are on a candida diet like Jac is. It was pretty sad looking at her while I got to eat all the patty cakes myself...So you could substitute the sweet potatoes with a red potato and add in other veggies like spinach or red pepper and serve with a pesto like this Parsley-Walnut Sauce or with a poached egg on top! (unless you're vegan of course :P)




Golden Coins




1 large sweet potato, peeled, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp of water)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of sea salt


Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Let chill in the fridge or freezer until malleable. Form into flat "cakes". Make sure they are relatively thin, like a 1/4 inch thick. Fry in coconut oil until golden brown. Drizzle with maple syrup and dust with coconut flour.

18 comments:

  1. Um, these look amazing. I have tried so many times to make a vegan coconut flour pancake, and failed just as many times. I might have to try this next time I'm craving one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic! I've been looking for more vegan coconut flour recipes. I thought sweet potato was allowed on the ACD? I was on it for awhile and sweet potatoes were one of my staples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Heather Heather: oh yes you are right, sweet potatoes are allowed, just not with maple syrup drizzled on top. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I just found your blog through the SOS Kitchen challenge, and what a find. I LOVE your blog, cant wait to try all these recipes.
    http://cantdocandida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. brilliant!!! You guys really know how to rock and roll...

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMMMMM,;...These coins were so fabulous!!!

    My family loved them to bits!! yes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember how I found your blog, but I am glad I did. I think my kids would actually try the coins. They sound really good. I think they would try some of the other recipes you have posted also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these yesterday for breakfast! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like my dream on a plate, I can't wait to try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. just made these- they're delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. can the quinoa floor and coconut floor be substituted for regular flour?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I believe so...The goal of mixing coconut flour and quinoa flour was to imitate wheat flour anyway. Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg, i made these for dinner and topped them with hummus and fresh tofu...so yummy!! it sounds strange but for reals, it was amazing!! thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. seriously - just starting out - where on earth do I find coconut flour and quinoa flour? (please I know I look really dumb here - but help!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Mommason Hilary: coconut flour and quinoa is often sold in health food stores, Whole Foods should carry them, otherwise online is a good bet too! and I know that I've seen coconut flour at bulk barn. I usually also just grind up quinoa to make the flour because it's usually really expensive for me otherwise.

    Good Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made these! Mine looked nothing like the picture, haha. I think it's because I used an asian sweet potato (yellow) and my results have led me to believe that the recipe called for a yam. Anyways, they were still pretty good! I used oat flour instead of quinoa, so the texture wasn't anything like a regular pancake, but with some maple syrup drizzled on top I had a really tasty lunch. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a yellow yam once by accident! It was definitely not a sweet potato. But pretty good anyway! You version sounds good!

      Delete
  17. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete