Thursday, February 24, 2011

Samosa Quinoa Bowl (Vegan, GF)

We try to eat as much quinoa as we can, I purchased some pre-rinsed quinoa which convinces me to make it even if I don't feel like it. Gotta use it up! We love samosas and indian food has a special place in our hearts. And we haven't even considered making gluten-free vegan samosas but after making this dish we are adding it to our list :) This is a rather easy meal that can be made in advance and stored in the fridge, the flavours will only get better with time. Love how turmeric makes everything so yellow and bright!



Sunshine Samosa City!


1 cup dry quinoa, cooked
1/4 an onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium potato
1/3 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
2 1/2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional, for colour)
1 tsp ground mustard seed
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Sea salt, to taste

Cut potato into small chunks and coat with coconut oil, spread on a parchment lined baking sheet or in roasting pan. Roast until tender. You could also boil them if you'd prefer. Heat a frying pan to medium-low, cooks onions and garlic until onions are translucent. While you're doing this you could be cooking the quinoa. Add more oil into onion pan, add the cooked potatoes. Add in all of the spices except for turmeric. Cook spices for a minute or so. Add into the pot of cooked quinoa. Season with salt and turmeric, add in peas and put a lid over quinoa in order for the flavours to infuse. Drizzle olive oil and stir in. Serves 2 main dishes or 4 side dishes.

18 comments:

  1. Another sketch free recipe I have to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- what a great idea! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought this said "Samoa" quinoa bowl. YOu know those girl scout cookies with the chocolate and caramel?? haha That would be awesome. Although this looks delicious too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! Simple but you can tell it's going to taste phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ashley: lol, that would be some crazy creativity if I actually could pull that off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make this exact dish quite often, only I use cubed tofu (which looks like potatoes, but has far more protein :P) instead of the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quinoa -- it's got this great nutty flavor that I can't get enough of. Lately I've been experimenting with using amaranth in my tried-and-true quinoa recipes, with lovely results!
    Turmeric goes in almost everything I eat -- even breakfast! It's so good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore turmeric at the moment (and cardamom, which I think would go perfectly here)! I've actually never had to rinse quinoa, as it's never been bitter in my experience. But maybe Aussie quinoa is just magical ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great and I can't wait to make it. I have to tell you, your blog and the Manifest Vegan blog are BY FAR the best new blogs I've discovered in the past year. I'm obsessed! All your recipes are amazing-looking and super healthy too! And I feel like our taste in ingredients and combinations is very similar (like how I feel with Dreena Burton cookbooks that use tons of chickpeas and sweet potatoes in everything, haha). Thanks for being great. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! I just love quinoa and indian foods..

    ReplyDelete
  11. in case you want to take it one step further.... you can wrap your mixture up in rice paper and bake or fry it. yuuuummy!
    (unfortunately not an original idea by me.... i saw it on cake maker to the stars - kitteekake (.) blogspot (.) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. @runfoyolife: oooo that sounds awesome! like real samosas. thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished making this and it is absolutely delicious! Simple to make but with complex flavors and a really lovely texture from the quinoa. My whole house smells fragrant from the spices and the coconut oil. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe. I will be making it often!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous: so glad you enjoyed it, and the scent as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this and thought it was one of the best quinoa dishes I've ever had! An easy recipe with simple flavors that came together over time to create a dish. And the peas add such a light sweet flavor at the end. So glad there are leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious! I added lemon zest and juice, a little agave nectar, more peas, a diced jalapeƱo, and a half head of cauliflower cut into florettes and steamed. Would have added mint if I'd had any. :). Great inspiration...thanks!
    -e

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just awesome. Mouth watering vegan samosa, I like very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete