Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Raw Ice Cream Sandwiches: 2 Ways (Vegan, GF)

These were the result of me having nothing to do on a sunday day. I was making almond milk this morning and was like, hey if I make it really thick I wonder if I could make raw ice cream out of it? Well you can! But, if you like your ice cream really creamy I would definately recommend the coconut or soaked cashew route. Otherwise almond milk and hemp seeds work pretty well, it just makes a less dense, lighter ice cream. The "Oreo" cookies actually taste like oreos it blew my mind! I'm definitely making those cookies just for everyday munching. Anyway I'm pretty sure this post speaks for itself, raw. ice cream. sandwiches. Enjoy!












Ice Cream:
2 cups almond milk (1 cup almonds to 1 1/2 cups water)
1/2 cup hemp seeds
6 soaked medjool dates
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt

Oreo (Chocolate) Cookies:
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (ground finer)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup raw honey/agave/other syrup sweetener
2 tsp mesquite powder
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp coconut oil (see recipe instructions!)

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (ground finer)
1/4 cup raw honey/agave other syrup sweetener
1 tbsp mesquite powder
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp cacao nibs

Make almond milk, according to 1:1.5 ratio. Combine almond milk, hemp seeds and dates in a blender. Blend until uniformly smooth. Drain mixture through a sieve to strain out any date/hemp clumps. Return mixture to blender add coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Blend until combined. Make ice cream according to ice cream maker instructions.

Assemble ingredients for chocolate/oreo cookies in a medium bowl. Roll with a rolling pin until 1/4 inch thick. Cut four 4 inch circles out of it, put on dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 115F for 6 hours or until firm-ish. With the leftover dough, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil, knead together (combine) form into flat shapes and put in freezer until firm (a few minutes). Spoon half of the ice cream into a bowl, chop the freezer dough into pieces and crumble into ice cream. Stir until combined.

Assemble ingredients for chocolate chip cookies in a medium bowl. Roll with a rolling pin until 1/4 inch thick. Cut six 4 inch circles out of it, put on dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 115F for 6 hours or until firm-ish. You may have leftover dough, so if that is the case you could possibly get away with making a few extra (7-8). Spoon the other half of the ice cream into a bowl, add cacao nibs. Stir until combined.

Once cookies are dehydrated spoon appropriate ice cream mixture onto cookie (the ice cream should be really smooth and malleable, perfect just out of the ice cream maker) top with another cookies, smooth sides with a knife. Freeze until firm.

Check out our Raw Mini Ice Cream Cakes: 2 Ways

13 comments:

  1. Yum!! I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I could eat the computer screen! That looks amazing and you photos are so edible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly I must make these. My dehyrdator is currently full, but as soon as it's available, I'm so getting on this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! Did you use any coconut oil in the ice cream? Its not listed in the ingredients but after reading the directions I'm assuming you added some, just wondering how much? Thanks!:) Cannot wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jessica: yes sorry I forgot to include it in the ingredient list. I put 1 tbsp. If you'd like a creamier ice cream though I would use soaked cashews/or coconut, instead of almond/hemp milk. It depends if you want a lighter or denser ice cream. ! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You totally made my day. Gluten free AND Vegan!? Can I give you a hug?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wholly crap.....these look awesome!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. These look positively scrumptious. And I don't use that word lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete