Sunday, January 9, 2011

Raw Chocolate-Mint Pie (Vegan, GF)

Whoa guys you have GOT to give this a go. Mint chocolate is my absolute favourite chocolate combination (second is chocolate orange). This was most definitely love at first bite. I didn't have any fresh mint leaves so I used dried tea leaves and extract. If you have fresh mint use that!

Contemporary tart shot ;)

Brownie crust

3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
PInch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed dates
2 tbsp coconut oil

2 large avocados
1 tsp lemon
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 tbsp dried mint leaves
2 tsp mint extract
1/4 cup agave

1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup agave
pinch salt
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp coconut oil

1/4 cup soaked cashews
1/4 tsp vanilla
water (to thin)
1 tbsp coconut oil

Assemble crust ingredients in food processor, process until well combined. Press into an 8 inch pie plate or tart pan. Chill until firm. Combine filling ingredients until well combined and creamy (in a food processor). Adjust mintiness as you like. Pour filling into crust, chill until set. Combine ingredients for ganache. Pour ganache over filling in a thin layer. Chill until set. Assemble ingredients for drizzle in a food processor. Drizzle over top. Freeze for a more ice creamy pie or chill for a softer pie. Makes one 8 inch pie.


  1. i'm just starting to get interested in raw foods, but this is really tempting to me. i love mint and chocolate together, and the bright green tint is gorgeous! thanks for sharing this.

  2. This looks outstanding! I love the colors. Great work! :)

  3. This looks great! Chocolate mint is one of my faves, too!

  4. new blogger here...have seen your recipes on vegweb before. i think i might be intrigued by the whole raw foods thing. chocolate never hurts, either! :)

  5. Okay, I'm speechless! Amazing. I want a big slice of that right now! And love that the crust doesn't have the ubiqutious (in raw recipes, anyway) dates! :D

  6. @Ricki... there are dates in the crust: "1/2 cup packed dates".

  7. nice one! :)))

    you can also add some cacao butter in the ganache for even more chocolaty taste :)

  8. My mouth is watering, mmmm that sure looks good.

  9. @thekoreanrose: no, at the moment we just do the recipes, but this summer we are planning to start a raw treat business...hopefully! we will of course keep everyone updated about that via this blog. Thanks for the interest!

  10. Waw!! What a georgous & lusciously looking coloured pie!

    I am so going to make this tasty tarte!


  11. I made this last week for my husband's birthday. It was the best dessert raw or not that I've ever had. It was soooooo good. I cant wait to make it for my christmas party this year. I think the mint would make it a perfect holiday treat!

    I did substitute raisins for the dates since I think they go so much better in chocolate crust recipes. I like dates with carob and rasins with chocolate. I also added some cocoa nibs. I still felt like the crust was missing something but Im going to experiment more with that. The ganache was too thick so I added a little water so I could spread it (I used thick raw honey) Otherwise I changed nothing and it was just perfect.

    My only question is what is the reason for the coconut oil in the crust? Have you tried it without? I used only 1tbs because I was unsure if I needed it or not since I've seen other recipes with no oil in the crust.

    This was so great, thanks for being so creative and posting this!! I love mint!!

  12. @Kristine: oh my goodness so glad you loved it! I usually put coconut oil in my crusts just for that extra firmness, it's just a personal preference but it would be fine as you were saying without it. I love mint too! probably the best chocolate flavour combination :)

  13. Just made this dessert for my wife. It is truly amazing. Didn't change a thing other than springing the pan with a little dried coconut to help keep the crust from sticking to the pan.

    Every element was awesome. My wife LOVED the ganache topping so much i made an extra batch just to dip frozen bananas in. Thanks for sharing.