Sunday, July 31, 2011

Puttanesca Sauce w/ Rice

What does Puttanesca mean? I think it means very few ingredients, which is exactly my kind of meal.

This is a super quick vegan supper if you are in a time crunch and the ingredients are super simple, you probably have most of them in your cupboard right now!

This was inspired by a recipe by Jamie Oliver. I made it a couple years ago when I first began experimenting with "meat-free" recipes and it was so yummy! I love the taste of the black olives with the oregano and tomatoes. It's a very tangy, sweet, herbal sauce that can be spooned on top of rice or gluten-free pasta.

Puttanesca Sauce:

1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/3 cup kalamata olives, de-pitted and halved
1/2 tbsp green capers
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano leaves
6-7 whole tomatoes (from a can) chopped
A couple spoonfuls of liquid from can of tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic, olives, capers and spices in a frying pan until soft. Add salt pepper, tomatoes and juice. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Add more liquid if need be. Serve on rice or pasta!

Saucy brown rice!
Pile on the Puttanesca!

5 comments:

  1. this looks SO savory and delicious!!! love how all the ingredients are on hand and in my cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! quick and easy dinners that taste like they took forever are the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love puttanesca! Sounds great over rice instead of pasta! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name means "a lady of the night", never seen it without anchovies or chilies. I like it because it's spicy, fast and easy (probably how it got the name). But I wanted it with rice tonight and I guess it does go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have cruised your whole site now and thouroughly researched almost all of your recipes and I think this one is my favourite. I'm glad it's on rice and I'm excited about the olives...

    And yes, the previous comment about it being named after 'a lady of the night' (or 'Putta') is true. Shopkeepers in the beginning of the century would feed these women at the end of the night with any scraps they had left in the kitchen. The old story goes that they threw 'leftovers' in a pot... olives, anchovies, lemon, capers and tomatoes and there you have it! :) Who knew it would be such a hit?

    ReplyDelete