Friday, August 12, 2011

Vegan "Booster Juice"

I. Love. Booster Juice. So much so that I spent a good portion of my meal plan on them everyday during my year at University. Eventually I ran out of money, and had to lay off of them. I was so addicted, but they were healthy so that's okay right?

Booster Juice smoothies aren't vegan, although you can ask for one without yogurt. I don't drink them all that often anymore, cause I mean, come on, smoothie master over here! You can make smoothies at home that are cheaper and actually taste alot like the almighty booster juice: such as this recipe I have crafted up for any vegan longing for that frosty, thick, fruit-filled drink.

A key to really great smoothies, that I've recently discovered, is that by using half frozen and half fresh fruit, you get a more uniform texture and an easier blend. That's why the mango is unfrozen, by I'm sure you can use for example, frozen mango, frozen strawberries and fresh banana, or another combination as such.

1/2 ripe large mango (unfrozen)
4-5 frozen strawberries
1/2 frozen banana
Juice from one passion fruit (this is flavourful stuff!)
1/4 cup guava juice (I used this brand)
1/2 cup orange juice (or more to induce blending)

Stick everything in a blender and blend away!! Add more juice as necessary to desired consistency. Keep it as thick as you can, a straw is a must for this one!



This was a take on the Mango Hurricane, my absolute favourite! I would LOVE to see if anyone else can recreate their favourite booster juice, it was surprising how much it tasted like the real thing.

As seen in: Ricki's Wellness Weekends

5 comments:

  1. OMG! Your blog post is totally my life! I was/am addicted to Boosterjuice. Years ago during University (my husband and I went back in our mid 20's), I was draining our bank account with drinking Boosterjuice on a daily basis. I decided to apply for a job there, that way I had a discount and a free smoothie on shift. I worked there and it was a fun, fresh place to work. I also got the inside scoop on their smoothies which totally rocked, so I as well have recreated many of their smoothies. I can't wait to try yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah i used to drink smoothies all the time in college too. passion fruit is soooo good. i love the flavor it adds. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! Half fresh/half frozen is the way to go! If I use soymilk or almond milk in my smoothies, I usually freeze it in an ice cube tray before hand. That way it doesn't get all watered down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Boosterjuice, but only for actual juice, never a smoothie! This sounds amazing. And I love the color! :) Thanks so much for submitting it to Wellness Weekend this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! This looks terrific!
    I really like this smoothie at Booster Juice but I'm sure yours is a bit healthier! :)

    ReplyDelete