Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Banana Snack Cake w/ Peanut Butter Icing

My oh my banana pudding pie! I know this cake looks pretty simple, but it's so moist and tastes so good with the PB icing!

I was getting so excited over this snack cake, Jenn thought I was being weird, like she usually does when I obsess over silly little things like this. But hey, trust me, this is definitely something to obsess over.

I know what you're thinking, banana cake, isn't that sort of like banana bread!? No, it's not! It's lighter and sweeter in my opinion.

The icing went so well with it too. Really takes me back to pb and banana sandies. So the icing, when you add water to pretty much any roasted nut butter, the oil in the butter will coagulate and turn it whippy like. I usually do 1 part nut butter to 1 part water and then add a little stevia to taste.

If you're intolerant to peanuts, roasted almond butter, or even a chocolate-tahini icing would be a yummy alternative.

Avalanche of PB
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
4 tsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup banana puree
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup water

Icing:
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup water (or enough for it to appear whippy (depending on type of pb))
Drops of stevia to taste

Preheat oven to 350F. Sift dry ingredients together into a medium bowl. In a larger bowl combine all wet ingredients + coconut sugar. Stir until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, stir until further combined. Pour batter into ashallow casserole dish, bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and it's nice and golden brown on top. Leave to cool (Important! or else icing will turn more into a glaze, unless you like that...) Combine ingredients for the icing in a small bowl, Spread liberally onto top of cake. Top with chopped peanuts, bananas, chocolate chips, coconut, (sky is the limit for toppers).

Makes enough snackery for 6-8 people.

15 comments:

  1. oh my this is totally bookmarked!!! gasp. i love banana bread. especially healthy banana bread. i had no idea that if you add water to the nut butter, it can turn into icing!!! i'm so gonna use that next time :D welcome to the #cakelove party!! :D whoohoo!

    ps - i am intolerant to buckwheat. any suggestions on gf flour to replace with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, how are your recipes always so awesome!?
    Just wondering, do you think something other than banana puree would work? Such as pumpkin, or even chocolate pudding? WOW! Even thinking about it makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing, and tugs at my heartstrings because I live for peanut butter yet haven't made anything with bananas in almost a year, as they cost $3.50 a pop here in Australia! I dream of one day making this, if the price ever goes down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana with peanut butter... so classic- but would have never thought of this- kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this recipe for my baby's first birthday August 25th - she and the rest of us loved it! I did do a different frosting though - still not sure about peanuts for babies...anyway, this week I really wanted an oatmeal raisin gf snack cake so I tried this recipe again but had no bananas - I subbed in applesauce (almost double), and added oats, raisins, cinnamon, and 1 tsp xanthum gum - total winner - will be doing it again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good, am looking for low sugar baking using coconut oil! I'm going to make this on Sunday! Can't take all that sugar though, so will substitute apple sauce for the maple syrup and see how it comes out. Will report back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I just made this cake and substituted apple sauce for the maple syrup, and lowered the coconut sugar. It turned out not bad. I made the peanut butter icing too, but did not like that on the cake much. I liked the cake by itself much better. Yep, very healthy snackery indeed. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this last night. Its very good!! Although I couldn't find coconut sugar, so I used brown sugar...

    I didn't refrigerate it last night though. Im wonder if its still good to eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi natasha, it still should be okay to eat, it would be like the equivalent to banana bread, usually okay to leave out for a few days. :)

      Delete
  9. could you use brown rice flour and coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, I wouldn't recommend those two flours together they both tend to get dry when baked with, especially the brown rice flour. You could try subbing either the coconut or brown rice flour for the buckwheat flour. Good luck! ;)

      Delete
  10. Hi! Do raw nut butters also turn whippy when you add water? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do but not as whippy as a roasted butter, it has something to do with the oils, and raw butters haven't released their oils as much as the roasted has.

      Delete
  11. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete