Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Coconut Cashew Curry Hummus (Vegan, GF)

Nothing says vegan like good old hummus! I don't know if you guys remember our review on Living Intentions Raw Nuts, but one of my favourite varieties was the Thai Curry Cashews and Coconuts. I am such a fan of cashew butter as well, I bought some in bulk and wanted to put it to good use and not just eat it out of the jar like many of us do :P And the colour is so sunshine yellowy it's stunning! Enjoy!

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy with carrot sticks

1 1/2 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp cashew butter
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp ginger, or 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
Juice of half a lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp shredded coconut (ground down)
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp coconut nectar
Salt and Pepper
Roasted cashews (garnish)

*Magic Bullet Friendly* Combine chickpeas, water, lemon juice, garlic, ginger (if fresh) and oil in the bullet with cross blade (or food processor). Pour chickpea paste into a medium bowl. Add all other ingredients. Makes enough hummus for 6 people, w/ carrot sticks and chips!


  1. I've been on a major cashew kick lately! I bet I would LOVE this hummus!

  2. This looks fantastic. is coconut nectar different from oil/sugar/flakes? i can't believe you've totally stumped me!

  3. @Happyolks: coconut nectar is a unique product, I believe there is only one company that makes it: Coconut Secret:


    it's a low-glycemic sweetener derived from the nectar of coconuts, before it is granulated into coconut sugar.

    you can substitute any liquid sweetener :)

  4. Guilty to eating cashew butter from the jar with a spoon! This combination looks and sounds amazing, and I do currently have a lot of cashews in my fridge...

  5. Wow! I may have to make this tonight! It sounds amazing!

  6. Yummy!!! :-) Thanks for sharing - I want to try this!

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

  7. Hello,

    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,


  8. Sounds wonderful! I love using nut butter in hummus (chickpeas plus almond is heavenly)--this sounds sooo rich and yummy. And I bet the garlic, ginger and curry create a fantastic flavor in this.

  9. Thanks for this recipe! I live in Germany, and they sell something like this at DM stores. This recipe tastes almost identical...Now, I can make it myself! Thanks again! YUM!!!!!