Monday, November 15, 2010

Smoked Salmon and Cream-Cheese Sproutwheels (Vegan, GF)

Jenn and I travelled to Montreal a few weeks ago to visit some friends and we went to Aux Vivres. We both were craving a substantial sandwich so she got the "BLT" with coconut bacon, it was actually not bad. And I got the Vegelox sandwich. I could not believe how much it tasted like salmon, we were floored! So, I was searching for a "mock" salmon salad and came across this blog and they had the ACTUAL recipe for vegelox posted, I don't know how they got it but I'm so glad I found it. So naturally I planned to make it, but instead of your everyday sandwich, I thought it would be fun in pinwheel form. I even made carrot juice, just to use the pulp, ya very eager. The tortilla used is a sprouted grain, which ISN'T gluten-free but it's the healthier alternative to a regular flour tortilla. If you'd like a Gluten-Free Tortilla, check out this recipe. These were so so good, I finally have somewhat satisfied my smoked salmon void...one step at a time...:)



Vege-lox:
1 cup carrot juice pulp
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dulse flakes
3-4 dashes liquid smoke
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley


Combine all ingredients in a food process and process until combined. Taste and adjust condiments as necessary. 


Cream Cheese:
3/4 cup cashews, soaked
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt


Warm 2 sprouted grain tortillas (they must be warm or else it will be difficult to roll), spread a layer of cream cheese onto tortillas then spread on vegelox, I find its easier to spread it with your hands. Next layer any kind of sprout (I used alfalfa), and roll. Once rolled, cut into 1 inch thick slices and secure with toothpick. Makes 12-14 pinwheels.


To make these Gluten-free, wrap in our Brown Rice Flax Tortillas!


A perfect appetizer for your vegan friends!

12 comments:

  1. This looks & sounds amazing! We also went to Aux Vivres over the summer while visiting Montreal, and I've been obsessed with making their coconut bacon ever since. I must try this recipe! So happy to discover your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing -
    We don't have a juicer - any idea's on how to replace the carrot pulp? Would tossing a couple of carrots in the food processor work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great ladies!! Love all the colors too, so pretty! Liquid smoke - interesting, never used it before ;) Love my dulse flakes!! HAHA

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ MrsQ
    we actually don't have a juicer either! It's surprisingly easy to make juice without a juicer here's a link showing you exactly how to do it: http://sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com/2010/10/green-juice-without-juicer.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try your local food co-op or juice bar as a source of carrot pulp. I got 8 cups of it for free, just because I asked! Awesome recipe! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Salmon was the very last thing I gave up when I became vegetarian 6 years ago, and I've been sad about not finding a vegan alternative. Thank you SO much for not only providing a vegan recipe, but one with no processed ingredients! Yay! *does happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this about 4 times since reading your recipe, and I've adjusted the recipe quite a bit since i dont have some of the ingredients, and i used a bit of russian beet horseradish in place of the cream cheese (adds a nice spicy bite) and it was awesome! love the taste, filling, and very healthy! Thanks and bunch for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that should say thanks a bunch...this is what i get for commenting at 2 am

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic. I've been browsing through your recipe index and there are some absolutely phenomenal looking recipes in there!

    I can't WAIT to make this! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were amazing! I made the wraps today and will be making them again and again. Thanks so much for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made these and they are terrific! I used brown rice tortillas and they worked great! My husband is going to take them to a pot luck at work. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete