Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Chickpea, Feta, Mint, Chili Salad

I bought an organic mint plant at the grocery store the other day! And was so jazzed because A. Mint is my favourite herb and B. It was a total steal at 1.99!

Since I'm on a budget with my groceries, I've been scouting out deals and found chickpeas on sale for 99 cents a can, I'm like yeah I'll take a few of those.

I'm a major follower of everything Jamie Oliver, so when I googled chickpea salad and one of his blogger's recipes came up, I was in! If you know Jamie Oliver well you know he almost always includes a chili of some sort in his dishes, and this one was no exception! They also did a cool thing of warming up the chickpeas so that the dressing would infuse more into it, I thought it made a big difference!







1 can of chickpeas (460g)
10 cherry tomatoes chopped
half a cucumber, cubed
1/2 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp red onion, chopped
2 tsp chopped red chill (or I used 1 tbsp of chili-garlic paste)
1 lemon, juiced
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 tbsp honey
Fresh mint, chopped
Feta cheese, crumbled

Heat up chickpeas in a skillet with a few tbsp of reserved liquid, cook just until heated through. Mash 1/5 of chickpeas and then dump everything in a mixing bowl.

Combine lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, honey, chill and garlic (or garlic-chili paste) in a small bowl. Chop veggies and add to chickpeas, then add in dressing and toss to coat. Let sit in fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours.

Chop ribbons of fresh mint (about 10-12 leaves) and sprinkle over salad, crumble feta on top and serve!

*I added 1/2 a clove of garlic as well as substituted the chili for garlic-chili paste, I also added honey because I just find adding some sort of sweetness to salads makes it so much better and it goes well with the chili and mint, I also added cucumbers!!*

3 comments: