Saturday, October 12, 2013

Vegan Avocado Breakfast Hash!

I was walking out of the grocery store the other day, two bags in tow, and realized that I hadn't bought ANY veggies (not even salsa for my tortilla chips). The majority was still healthy (lots of fruit, yogurt, granola, and proteins), but still no veg, and avocados are not vegetables either!

So on my next trip, I centred in on the veggies: red peppers, zucchini, potatoes and onions. These can all be cut up really small so I made a hash! And it was amazing!

Making a hash involved more than just throwing a bunch of veggies in a pan with potatoes and hope for the best. There is a process that I'll explain below!





First, you need to peel and dice your potatoes into small cubes.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and boil potatoes for 5 minutes or until ALMOST tender. Alternatively, if you're pro-microwave, you can microwave potatoes for 1 minute on high.

Heat a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 tbsp coconut oil (or other heat safe oil).

Chop onion, add to pan, cook 1-2 minutes, chop red pepper, add to pan.

Add potatoes to pan. Add more coconut oil if needed.



While you wait, chop zucchinis and add to pan.



Cook until zucchinis are tender. And now you can mash it with the back of your spoon! Not too much just enough to release to starch. If you cooked your potatoes really well before frying them you may need to skip this step.



Add 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and LOTS of black pepper. Season with salt to taste.



And there you go! Instead of an egg, top with avocado (they both have good fats anyways right?), arugula and I topped mine with some feta cheese (but you can totally omit it if you're vegan!). The seasoning on top is paprika and black sesame seeds.

I used so much black pepper in the hash I ran out!

Here is the recipe written out:

4 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 cooking onion, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp coconut oil (or other heat proof oil)
Salt and Pepper (don't skimp!)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Top with:
Avocado, arugula, and feta cheese

Boil potatoes for 5 minutes or until almost tender. Alternatively microwave potatoes on High for 1 minute. Heat skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add onion, cook 1-2 minutes, add red pepper and potatoes (don't rinse potatoes), add salt here. Add zucchini, cook until tender. Mash has with backside of spoon, may skip this step if potatoes already really soft. Once has is tender, add balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute. Serve topped with avocado, arugula and feta cheese.

This makes for 2 main dishes, or 4 side dishes.


5 comments:

  1. Have you ever made a breakfast hash with jicima instead of white potatoes? Holy YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jicama! I always forget you don't have to eat those raw all the time lol! I'll try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks perfect! I'm rediscovering white potatoes- don't know why I forgot about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I forgot about them too, it's hard being in sweet potato's shadow-

      Delete
  4. My boyfriend and I made this for dinner last night; we loved it! We used a variety of potatoes and added carrots. He made his staple cauliflower sauce and dabbed a spoonful on top along with the avocado and feta ( we forgot to pick up arugula). It's been added to our list of favorites.! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete