Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Curried Vermicelli Noodles w/ Veg

I usually visit Jenn in Toronto over the weekend, last weekend we went to a cute vegetarian asian-style restaurant. Jenn ordered the curried vermicelli noodles with veggies and tofu. I ordered a rice bowl with goji berries and lemongrass, we usually swap plates half way through so we can try both dishes. I must say though I preferred the curry vermicelli, I never considered adding curry powder to my noodles, but it ended up being a great and delicious idea!

King Soba sent us an array of their noodles, this recipe used their organic and fair trade vermicelli noodles made out of...brown rice, how cool right? And all you have to do is give them a quick soak and they're ready for use.



The dish at the restaurant had bean sprouts in it, bean sprouts have been getting a bad rap for some reason lately. So instead I substituted julienned zucchini which kind of mimics a bean sprout...

Golden sun noodles





























6 oz brown rice vermicelli
1 zuchini, julienned
1 cup juliened carrots
1 red pepper, julienned
4 green onions, sliced
1 cloves garlic, minced, 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
1/2 a chili, seeded and minced
1 1/2 tbsp rice bran oil for frying
3 tbsp tamari
4 tbsp water
3 tsp curry powder, more or less depending on curry powder potency
Juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
Chopped (1 tbsp chopped) + garnish
Pepper, to taste

Soak vermicelli in hot tap water until softened. Heat oil in pan, add in garlic, ginger and chill, cook for 1 minute. Add in green onion and rest of vegetables. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add curry powder, cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add tamari, water and lime juice, continue cooking for 1 more minute. Add vermicelli, sesame seeds and cilantro. Toss and cook for another minute. Serve hot. Makes 2 large servings or 3 regular sized servings.

8 comments:

  1. i was gonna say the same thing as steph, it is just like korean japchae (vermicilli noodles) and soy sauce/sesame flavors. (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae) love the touch of curry to it. have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never heard of japchae! I guess learning something new everyday! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious. I wish i could find some brown rice vermicelli in Australia, but unfortunately we only get the white ones here. Brown makes it so much healthier and tasty in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking more like singapore noodles with a a touch of curry.. love all the veggies in this. i need to look for some vermicelli.. whats the problem with bean sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently mung bean sprouts have traces of mould on them...I could be wrong, but I've always heard that...It's the same as peanut butter. I still eat them, just not in large amounts...

      Delete
  4. Great recipe girls! I made something very similar to this very often but I have to say that you version is much healthier!

    I wonder how sesame oil would taste in this? And I like to add boychoy and cabbage to mine :)

    ReplyDelete