Thursday, June 16, 2011

Saucy Tempeh Curry

Tempeh is usually reserved for those rare occasions when I'm feeling deprived of a hardcore protein meal. Especially in the summer time when it's like salad...salad...salad with beans on top...salad, you know the routine :P. Curry is a great vegan comfort food, while also staying on the healthy side. The only fat in this recipe is olive oil, and it is so fast to make!

1/2 block of tempeh
Olive oil for frying

For sauce:
1 shallot chopped in chunks
2 cloves garlic
2 medium tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp curry powder (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for cooking

For the sauce, combine all listed ingredients in a blender and blend. You can use an immersion blender, or in this case, a magic bullet. Just get it blended! lol

Cut tempeh into strips then in half to form bite sizable pieces. Fry with a little olive oil on medium until golden brown. Set aside on a plate.

Drizzle pan with more olive oil, pour "raw" sauce into the hot pan, cook until sauce is reduced and has thickened up. Season as necessary. Add tempeh to sauce and simmer for a few minutes.

Serve curry on top of rice!

Makes 2 good servings.


  1. Easy peasy and delicious-looking!Thank you

  2. This is so much my kind of recipe! The fact that it has a yummy tomato sauce on top makes it doubly delicious. One for the "to-try" list! :)

  3. I don't know what tempeh is but your curry looks so delicious, I'd eat that and just ask later..if, I'm going to google tempeh ;)

  4. This looks absolutely awesome, would you believe I have never tried tempeh, crazy. I adore curries, will definitely be trying this soon!

  5. Hi Jennifer & Jaclyn,

    I just came across your site and I love it! Your recipes are a great fit for my weekly link up event, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday. Though my blog is gluten-free & refined sugar-free the recipes shared there don't have to me. They just need to be healthier in some way - and yours certainly are.

    I'd love for you to join us. The linky is open from Tues to Friday each week.


  6. Yum! I want to make this ASAP. I think I'm a tumeric virgin, but you guys are gonna help me change that!

  7. oh my, we have so much in common! i'm all into clean plant based eating :D. and i'm a twin too (but she doesn't blog with me hehe). looking forward to your posts!

  8. Good post and Smart Blog
    Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Ancient Egyptian and more Khaba's Layer Pyramid thanks again admin